Welcome to Omni-bot Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Limiting number of bots for grouped goals...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Vrex

Vrex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Hi all,

I'm playing around with the baserace script again and wanted to split the defense goals amongst 3 bots, each handling a group of those defense goals which are then randomly selected from to select a defense goal to go to.

I tried assigning the groups of goals to role.defender, role.defender1 and role.defender2 and then limiting each role to 1 bot, but there still seems to be more than 1 bot per role (as seen when 2 bots go for goals that are grouped together) regardless of what I set in the scripts.

Whats the correct way to group a set of goals and then limit the number of bots using the group?

The other thing I noticed is that the help page for roles mentions using "numbots", whereas some scripts like baserace seem to use "MaxBots" to define the number of bots in the role. Which one is correct?

Thanks in advance!

palota

palota

• Administrators
  • 536 posts

I think bots on the baserace map are too much defending and they do not build their base. It would be better to focus more on getting construction materials.

The script is very old. There is no "MaxBots" property in the current Omni-bot version. You should use "numbots" in Roles table. The function Util.SetRoleForTable is used to assign role to group of goals. If you need help, you can look into other map scripts, for example facility31_b1.gm.

Vrex

Vrex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Agreed 100%! I've tweaked it a bit so that the bots build the base a little better (3 defending instead of 4 and changing the strategy in use) as well as adding a number of camp goals (and a few etnam specific goals). It'd probably be better with only 2 bots defending, but that makes it tricky to cover all the spots above and below ground. In the test match I'm watching now, axis are 4+ ahead and on the way to building everything.

Thanks for clearing up the MaxBots vs numbots thing... I wasnt sure if I was doing something wrong, or using the wrong syntax. I've changed it to numbots now. I had initially just added 2 extra defend blocks (DefendOne and DefendTwo) exactly as it is in the existing script, but when that didnt work I added a complete role block instead.

Thanks for the pointer to facility31_b1 - It was exactly the clue I needed to solve the problem! I was using role.defender as the first role to fill (and seeing all 3 bots using the goals assigned to it) without realising I should've been using role.defender1 as the first role. After making that change it seems to be working now.

Is there a way to have more control over which specific goal the bot is assigned from the table of goals assigned to the role?

palota

palota

• Administrators
  • 536 posts

Bots choose goals by priority and role. There is no way to have more control.

Vrex

Vrex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Ah well... I was kinda hoping there was an OnSpawn or something similar.

Either way, thanks for your help with the roles, its ticking along nicely now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users